To craft amazing content that works hard and provides measurable results, through strong narrative building, solid visual direction, and efficient execution.
athenahealth, Watertown, MA • Senior Graphic Design Associate to Information & Graphic Design Manager • April 2014 – Present
- Oversee the creation of engaging content and compelling visuals for information design assets like infographics, data visualizations, and ebooks, and art direct layout, imagery, and charts for athenainsight.com and quarterly editorial print publication
- Plan story arcs and content through independent research and collaboration with internal subject matter experts, aligning fact, story, and marketing message needs
- Direct and manage an external team of project managers, researchers, writers, graphic designers, illustrators, and agencies to produce a steady cadence of visual story assets in support of both marketing and editorial initiatives, managing capacity against budget
- Develop and maintain athenahealth’s data visualization style guide
- Manage the information design team’s budget
- Track and report-out on asset performance, looking for ways to both extend content for greater ROI and create efficiencies wherever possible
Stemgent-Asterand, Cambridge, MA • Consultant to Senior Graphic Designer & Program Manager • 2012 – 2014
- Refreshed the corporate brand during company merger and assisted in updating the brand guidelines, managing all corporate assets and templates for web and print materials against the new directives
- Assisted the Director of Marketing with timeline and budget planning, and handled all external vendor communication and coordination
- Designed and coordinated trade show and event booth materials, from initial campaign development and design through materials processing, including shipment coordination and event setup
- Created cohesive email and direct mail campaigns with associated website landing pages and social media content
- Created corporate, product, and technical documents, as well as training materials and advertisements for print and web
Essential Salon Products, Holliston, MA • Lead Graphic Designer • 2010 – 2012
- Wrote, edited, designed, and produced marketing and training materials for salons across New England. Projects included in-store point-of-purchase displays, collateral and signage, e-blast and social media images, direct mail campaigns, and presentations, as well as handbooks, special event branding, invitations, and other event-associated materials
- Researched, wrote, designed, and directed external production of a bimonthly product magazine/catalogue
- Governed branding for 150+ different companies whose products were distributed through ESP, and maintained integrity of each across all associated projects
- Shot and edited product photography.
- Controlled daily department work flow and activity, delegating and prioritizing under extreme deadlines, and providing general status updates and advice
- Mentored junior team members, and provided feedback on overall departmental performance and concerns
- Responsible for file management, the project archive, and external vendor management
Leah VanWhy Design, Boston, MA • Freelance Designer • 2004 – Present
I take on projects that allow me to experience interesting companies, support worthy causes, or assist friends and family. Opportunities have ranged across a variety of industries from professional salons to dairy, publishing to insurance, life sciences to beer education. I have also donated services to cancer awareness and research fundraising efforts in New York and Massachusetts.
AlphaGraphics, NY & RI • Customer Service Rep to Senior Graphic Designer • 2004 – 2008
- As a Customer Service and Inside Sales Rep in Rochester, NY, I was responsible for front counter and phone quotation and service, cold-calls, project archival, and I assisted with bindery operations.
- After being promoted to Lead CSR, team mentoring, team training and sales calls were included in my responsibilities. Efficient completion of general duties and strong performance allowed me the opportunity to assist in the design department.
- I continued working as a Digital CSR, Pre-Press & Junior Graphic Designer and developed printed materials for digital and offset production under the Providence, RI franchise. I also handled deliverable specifications, document trouble-shooting, file instruction and support, proof reading, general office e-mails, tier 2 consultations, quotations, and assisted with front counter, bindery and delivery work.
- Upon being promoted to Senior Designer, I assumed responsibility for department workflow and delegation, staff training and mentoring, and tier 1 account consultations.
Superpower: Extreme attention to detail
Content/Design: narrative building, storyboarding and wire-framing, art direction, graphic design (print, web, email, social media), illustration, photography, brand development and management, pre-press and file preparation/optimization, asset archiving
Management: Exceptional organization, project management, vendor/freelancer management and coordination, schedule and asset juggling in time-sensitive environments
Other: Amateur juggling, making macaroni and cheese
Advanced knowledge of Adobe Creative Design Suite
Moderate knowledge of Microsoft Office
Some experience with HTML and Drupal and WordPress CMS
Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY
Bachelor of Fine Arts, New Media Design & Imaging, 2004
References are available upon request.